`Funeral processions` of Congress leaders opposing Sanjay Sinh
Guwahati: The All Assam Students Union (AASU) on Thursday took out `funeral processions` of Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and APCC president Bhubanswar Kalita to protest the nomination of Sanjay Sinh, a Lok Sabha member of UP, as Congress candidate for Rajya Sabha seat from Assam.
As a mark of protest AASU across the state took out the `funeral procession` with the `bodies` of the four Congress leaders and then bade `farewell` to them in river Brahmaputra, they said.
As part of the backlash against the nomination of the Lok Sabha member from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh, the AASU, which spearheaded the six-year-long anti-foreigners Assam Agitation in the 80`s, also burnt the Congress leaders` effigies yesterday.
The nomination has sparked protests across the state with various civil organisations and political parties opposing Sinh`s candidature.
Farmers` organisation Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, AASU, Brihattar Asomiya Yuba Morcha, the Biswajit Ray faction of All Koch-Rajbongshi Student Union (AKRSU), among others have decried Sinh`s nomination terming it as a betrayed of the people of Aassam by not selecting a local person as an outsider cannot solve the state`s problems.
KMSS activists held a demonstration yesterday in a luxury hotel where Sinh is staying and shouted slogans for him to go back from the state and that he will not be acceptable to the people of the state.
Strongly criticising the Congress, All Assam Students Union`s adviser Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya claimed, "Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Tarun Gogoi and Kalita have insulted the people of Assam by imposing Sanjay Sinh who has no connection with the state".
The Brihattar Asomiya Yuba Morcha in protest also demonstrated before the Assembly here and burnt effigies of Sinh, Gogoi and Kalita`s in Tinsukia district.
Opposing Sinh`nomination, AKRSU president Biswajit Ray termed it as "unfortunate and we are ashamed of it. Gogoi by accepting Sinh`s candidature has proved that he has no responsibility towards the ethnic communities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why