GACIC welcomes proposal to create Garo Autonomous Council
Guwahati: The Garo Autonomous Council Implementation Committee (GACIC) on Tuesday welcomed Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s announcement in his budget speech that the government was actively considering the creation of an Autonomous Council for the community.
"We are grateful and thank the Chief Minister for announcing that his government was actively considering the creation of Garo Autonmous Council on the lines of other existing Autonomous Councils in the state," GACIC Chairman Franklin Sangma and President Obinas Sangma said here.
The Garos are one of Assam`s largest and ancient indigenous tribal community with a very distinct culture of its own which needs to be protected and preserved, they said.
"This can be only achieved by the formation of an Autonomous Council as such efforts by the government in the case of other tribes has borne rich dividends and created a positive impact in the socio-economic development of these communities," the leaders pointed out.
Gogoi had announced in his budget speech yesterday that the state government was actively considering the creation of Garo Autonomous Council for the socio-economic development of Garos living in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption