GACIC welcomes proposal to create Garo Autonomous Council
Guwahati: The Garo Autonomous Council Implementation Committee (GACIC) on Tuesday welcomed Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s announcement in his budget speech that the government was actively considering the creation of an Autonomous Council for the community.
"We are grateful and thank the Chief Minister for announcing that his government was actively considering the creation of Garo Autonmous Council on the lines of other existing Autonomous Councils in the state," GACIC Chairman Franklin Sangma and President Obinas Sangma said here.
The Garos are one of Assam`s largest and ancient indigenous tribal community with a very distinct culture of its own which needs to be protected and preserved, they said.
"This can be only achieved by the formation of an Autonomous Council as such efforts by the government in the case of other tribes has borne rich dividends and created a positive impact in the socio-economic development of these communities," the leaders pointed out.
Gogoi had announced in his budget speech yesterday that the state government was actively considering the creation of Garo Autonomous Council for the socio-economic development of Garos living in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!