Gauhati HC grants bail to Bharali
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court has granted bail to Sanghamitra Bharali, who had claimed to have a relationship with former Assam Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, in a disproportionate assets case.
A single judge bench of Justice T Vaiphei granted her bail on Thursday.
Bharali, a former assistant language officer in Assam legislative assembly, was sentenced to four years imprisonment by a special court here on November 21 last year.
The court of special judge M Mazed Ali had also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh on Bharali.
The state vigilance and anti-corruption branch had registered a case in 2001 for allegedly amassing assets disproportionate to her known sources of income and filed the chargesheet in February last year.
Bharali owns posh residential apartments in Mumbai and Guwahati, two cars and has also investments in the share market.
She was in the news after claiming that the then chief minister Prafulla Mahanta had married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Mumbai in March 2001.
Even though Mahanata denied Bharali`s claim, his political career took a beating and he was compelled to leave Asom Gana Parishad he had founded, to form a separate political party.
He has, however, rejoined AGP and is now its president.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata