Gauhati HC grants bail to Bharali
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court has granted bail to Sanghamitra Bharali, who had claimed to have a relationship with former Assam Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, in a disproportionate assets case.
A single judge bench of Justice T Vaiphei granted her bail on Thursday.
Bharali, a former assistant language officer in Assam legislative assembly, was sentenced to four years imprisonment by a special court here on November 21 last year.
The court of special judge M Mazed Ali had also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh on Bharali.
The state vigilance and anti-corruption branch had registered a case in 2001 for allegedly amassing assets disproportionate to her known sources of income and filed the chargesheet in February last year.
Bharali owns posh residential apartments in Mumbai and Guwahati, two cars and has also investments in the share market.
She was in the news after claiming that the then chief minister Prafulla Mahanta had married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Mumbai in March 2001.
Even though Mahanata denied Bharali`s claim, his political career took a beating and he was compelled to leave Asom Gana Parishad he had founded, to form a separate political party.
He has, however, rejoined AGP and is now its president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him