Gauhati HC sets up special benches to deal with crime against women
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court has taken up 100 cases related to rape and crime against women in five special single benches formed for the purpose.
The High Court, following a Supreme Court guideline to ensure completion of rape trials within two months, set up five special benches to expedite the judicial process.
The benches have been set up under Justices Hrishikesh Roy, N Kotiswar Singh, Ujjwal Bhuyan, Biplab Kumar Sharma and Indira Shah.
The session of the five special courts was held yesterday for the first time and it heard 98 cases out of the 100 cases listed.
At present, there are at least 196 rape cases pending at various stages in the Gauhati High Court.
Meanwhile, in an order issued by the Court, the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge of the three districts of Kamrup, Nagaon and Dhubri have been directed to function as fast track courts for trying cases registered under Section 376 of IPC.
The Supreme Court had directed all High Courts to set up special courts to dispose off all pending cases related to rape and crimes against women without further delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31