Girl molested by policeman, mob violence leads to firing
Rangiya (Assam): A teenage girl was allegedly molested by a policeman leading to mob violence and police firing in Assam`s Kamrup district on Friday.
A girl, who was going alone on a bicycle, was stopped by a police constable, identified as Kamal Krishna Nath, deployed at the Gaachlia police camp in Rangiya subdivision of the district, and was allegedly molested by him.
The girl went and informed the people of her village following which an angry mob gheraoed the camp and pelted stones demanding that the policeman be handed over top them.
The police resorted to lathicharge and burst tear gas shells to disperse the mob but they refused to go following which the police opened six rounds of blank fire.
Some policemen and members of the public were injured when the mob clashed with the policemen, police said.
Senior civil and police officials, including Sub- divisional Officer Manisha Chelleng and Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO), rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.
The police constable who allegedly molested the girl was arrested and produced before the Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate who remanded him to jail custody while the camp was also disbanded from the spot.
Security has been tightened with police and paramilitary forces deployed in the area, sources added.
Meanwhile, a magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the incident to be conducted by magistrate Mamoni Parme and the report must be submitted within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report