GNLA rebels abduct two Assam traders
Shillong: Two Assam-based bamboo traders have
allegedly been abducted by Garo National Liberation Army
(GNLA) rebels prompting security forces in Meghalaya to launch
search operations to free them.
Meghalaya`s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos
and Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) of the CRPF
have been pressed into service to track down the rebels who
are suspected to be holed up in the Garo Hills region, police
Amir Hussain and Nor Islam were abducted on November one
from Dame Apal village in East Garo Hills district.
The GNLA has not come forward to claim responsibility for
the kidnapping but police said they have registered a case
against the GNLA as they believe that it is the handiwork of
the outfit under the leadership of one Rahul R Marak, a
self-styled camp commander of the group.
Quoting family members of the two traders, police said
they have not received any demand for ransom money from any
one so far.
The GNLA, which is not a banned outfit in Meghalaya, is
active in all the three Garo Hills districts. It is headed by
a former deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Champion R
Sangma who deserted his police battalion last year.
The Union Home Ministry has reportedly asked the state
government about its views on the issue of banning the outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now