Gogoi apprises Rajnath Singh of situation in Assam
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday apprised Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh of the situation at Uriamghat in Golaghat district where a person was killed in firing by miscreants from across Nagaland and sought additional central paramilitary forces for the area.
The Union Home Minister assured Gogoi that his plea for additional forces would be looked into by the ministry, a government statement said.
One person was killed and three others were injured near Uriamghat yesterday when armed miscreants on the Nagaland side opened fire on a group of agitators demanding release of two school students suspected to have been abducted by a Naga insurgent group, the statement said.
They also burnt 40 houses triggering the exodus of people from five affected villages, it added.
Gogoi, who is closely monitoring the situation, has asked Chief Secretary Jitesh Khosla to take up the matter with his Nagaland counterpart and to explore ways to defuse the tension in the bordering areas.
Commissioner and Secretary (Home and Political) G D Tripathi, who is on his way to Uriamghat, said more forces have been rushed to the area and the districts bordering Nagaland have been put on alert.
The situation, he said, was `tense` but `under control`.
At the directive of the chief minister, Parliamentary Secretary (Home and Political) Etuwa Munda and Additional Director General of Police (law and order and in-charge border) A P Rout are overseeing the security measures in the affected area, the statement said.
DIG (Central Range) P C Saloi is also camping at the site to monitor the situation, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM