Gogoi casts vote, confident of Congress win
Jorhat: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
cast his vote in Jorhat town, where state Assembly polls are
on in the first phase on Monday and expressed confidence that
Congress would form the government for the third straight
Accompanied by his wife Dolly and son Gaurav, Gogoi
exercised his franchise at Debicharan Barooah Girls High
School polling station where Union minister Bijoy Krishna
Handique and Gogoi`s brother Dip Gogoi, an MLA, also exercised
As on earlier occasions, Gogoi offered prayers at a
temple, mosque and church before reaching the polling station
at around 10.00 am sporting a red vermilion mark on his
Later he told newsmen, "We (Congress) will get absolute
majority of 63 seats, even more than last time. People are
happy with our work... They are supporting and blessing us as
we have put the state on the path of development."
"Our prospects are very good and bright. Peoples`
response is very good because of our good governance,
restoration of peace and stepping up of development
"We will form the government on our own this time. Our
alliance with the BPF (Bodoland Peoples Front) is also there,"
he said in response to a question whether Congress would form
government in alliance with BPF.
Asked to comment on the fight put up by opposition AGP
and BJP, the chief minister said "they are a confused lot and they
have admitted that neither can form government on their own".
To queries whether he would head the government for the
third term, Gogoi said the decision would be taken by the
party high command in consultation with the elected
Union Minister for Development of North East Region
(DONER) Bijoy Krishna Handique after casting his ballot, "It
will be a hat-trick for Congress and we will form the
government on our own."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal