Gogoi comfortably placed in Titabor
Titabor (Assam): Assam Chief Minister
Tarun Gogoi has a clear edge over all his 11 opponents in
Titabor Assembly constituency which goes to polls on April 4.
"The chief minister`s win is a foregone conclusion,
but now we are striving hard to ensure that he wins by a
record margin of votes and creates electoral history not only
in the state but also in the country," Titabor block Congress
president Sonadhar Rajkhowa said.
The chief minister, who had a minor operation in New
Delhi last week, is yet to hit the campaign trail, but his
supporters are confident he would ride the poll solely on the
basis of development work he had initiated in this
Another party worker Ghana Hazarika points out that the
real contest is for the second spot which is expected to be a
triangular one between AGP`s Montumoni Dutta, CPI`s Kula Das
and BJP`s Kaminish Deori.
A traditional Congress bastion, Titabor, which is in the
Jorhat Lok Sabha constituency, has been represented by Gogoi
since 2001 after he was elected in a by-election following the
party`s wresting of power from the Asom Gana Parishad.
In 2001 Assembly polls, the seat was won by his brother
Dip Gogoi who later vacated it for the elder Gogoi, who, then
a Lok Sabha MP from Kaliabor parliamentary constituency, had
led the party to a thumping win in the Assembly polls as the
state unit Congress president.
In 2006, the chief minister had polled 65.15 per cent of
the total votes and had won by 32,501 votes over his CPI
opponent Kula Das.
The high-profile constituency has witnessed a remarkable
development spree during the last 10 years with water supply
schemes, metalled roads, market places, a public library and
a sports complex being the prominent initiatives taken to make
it a model Assembly segment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali