Gogoi denies Sarma`s allegations
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday denied that he had suggested reshuffle of his ministry after every four months as alleged by dissident minister Himanta Biswa Sarma after tendering his resignation to Governor J B Patnaik here today.
"I have never uttered such a vague thing. How can one change a ministry in every four months? This allegation has no basis", Gogoi said in a statement issued here after Sarma announced that he had sent in his resignation as the state`s Health and Education minister to the Governor.
Gogoi further claimed that in his entire chequered political career since 1971 he had never played communal cards as alleged by Sarma.
"I have been a disciplined soldier of the Congress and my credentials are known to all. I have always worked for the party`s interest. My stand and commitment towards the party is well-known. I do not require any certificate from anyone," he said.
The chief minister further said he was completely "taken by surprise when he came to know that Sarma had gone to meet the Governor," after meeting him (Gogoi) last evening.
Sarma had met the chief minister last evening at the latter`s official residence and had promised to come back for further discussion along with some MLAs at 10 PM but later rang up to inform that they would come in the evening today.
The chief minister during discussions with Sarma last evening had suggested that wider discussions should be held between different groups to arrive at a consensus.
Sarma had said during discussions that he would deliberate with his colleagues as he was also in favour of wider discussions and come back for further parleys with the chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand