Gogoi denies statement for making birth control mandatory
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday denied making any statement on making birth control mandatory but said he had only suggested a small family.
"I have never made any statement on making birth control mandatory in the state," Gogoi said in a statement here today denying reports that appeared in this connection in a section of the media.
The Chief Minister said that he was only referring to the norms of National Family Planning Programme and could only suggest a family to go for small families.
"This cannot be interpreted as an idea of making birth control compulsory for the people of the state," he added.
Reports in a section of the local media here said the CM had said that illiteracy was high among the minority community as birth rate among them was high and this should be controlled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note