Gogoi flays Bijoya Chakravarty on visa-free entry remark
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday criticised BJP national vice-president and Guwahati MP Bijoya Chakravarty for her remark that he was "misleading" people on the "visa-free" entry for Bangladesh nationals.
The chief minister in a statement here said, "The proposal to allow visa-free entry of Bangladesh nationals of certain age groups by the BJP-led NDA Government came up during an inter-ministerial meeting on June 11 last in New Delhi and a copy of the summary record of discussion was with the Government of Assam."
"If Bijoya Chakravarty feigns ignorance of the proposal that came up during the meeting, I have nothing to say. Our government has placed on record a proposal of very sensitive nature before the people as they have every right to know about it. The question of misleading the people does not arise at all," Gogoi argued.
Meanwhile, Gogoi has welcomed Chakravarty`s statement that the central government would solve the water-logging problem in Guwahati in one and a half years` time.
He also assured of extending full cooperation to the Centre`s initiative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family