Gogoi for measures against flash floods in Guwahati
Guwahati: In view of flash floods in the state capital due to incessant rainfall, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has instructed that immediate measures be initiated to mitigate the woes of the citizens.
Gogoi held an emergent meeting with Guwahati Development Department Minister Ajanta Neog and GMDA Chairman Capt Robin Bordoloi today and instructed them to initiate the measures on a war footing and suggested the setting up of committees in localities affected by artificial floods.
He also suggested the setting up of an expert committee which would enable the Government to formulate a comprehensive policy to tackle the water woes.
Expressing serious concern over rampant earth cutting and rock blasting for quarrying on the Meghalaya side bordering Guwahati, the Chief Minister said these activities have not only caused environmental hazards but also compounded the artificial floods in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube