Gogoi for measures against flash floods in Guwahati
Guwahati: In view of flash floods in the state capital due to incessant rainfall, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has instructed that immediate measures be initiated to mitigate the woes of the citizens.
Gogoi held an emergent meeting with Guwahati Development Department Minister Ajanta Neog and GMDA Chairman Capt Robin Bordoloi today and instructed them to initiate the measures on a war footing and suggested the setting up of committees in localities affected by artificial floods.
He also suggested the setting up of an expert committee which would enable the Government to formulate a comprehensive policy to tackle the water woes.
Expressing serious concern over rampant earth cutting and rock blasting for quarrying on the Meghalaya side bordering Guwahati, the Chief Minister said these activities have not only caused environmental hazards but also compounded the artificial floods in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender