Gogoi for separate directorate for streamlining mid-day meal
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said that his government would set up a separate directorate to streamline the mid-day meal scheme.
The government would directly transfer money to the School Management Committees (SMCs) for procuring utensils and adopt other measures to ensure success of the scheme in the state, Gogoi said while reviewing the performance of Sarba Siksha Abhiyan (SSA).
The chief minister also directed the education minister to take up teachers training programmes on a mission mode so that they could impart quality teaching to the students.
He also asked the education minister to fill up the posts of teachers at the Lower Primary (LP)and Middle Elementary (ME) schools.
Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma apprised the chief minister that 15,000 LP and ME teachers`posts of the newly provincialised 8,000 schools would be filled up by March 31 next year.
He said that of the 5,898 additional classrooms construction work, 92 per cent had been completed along with 75 per cent of the 6209 headmasters rooms and almost 100 per cent of the 12,125 separate girls toilets in schools across the state.
Gogoi also discussed district-wise financial and physical achievements of SSA for 2012-13 which included opening of 56 new schools, free textbook and uniform distribution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez