Gogoi govt has failed to control violence: Cong MP Rahman Khan
New Delhi: A group of MPs led by Congress leader K Rahman Khan Thursday demanded central intervention to end the ongoing ethnic clashes in Assam saying they have lost confidence in Tarun Gogoi government`s ability to control violence.
"There is failure somewhere. We have lost confidence in state government`s ability to control violence and demanded central intervention," Khan told reporters after meeting Home Minister P Chidambaram.
The Muslim MPs, including NCP`s Tariq Anwar, Asrarul Haque (Cong) and Sabir Ali (JD-U), said they have "never seen such kind of ethnic violence in India".
"Situation is very tense and something has to be done urgently. The state government has not been able to control the situation. We have asked for central intervention," Khan said.
The former Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha said it was an ethnic clash where a large number of Muslims were killed.
"People mostly affected were Muslims," he said.
Khan said the Home Minister assured them that the central government was in regular touch with the state government and has conveyed that all possible actions were taken to end the violence.
"We have also urged the Home Minister to give adequate compensation and rehabilitate affected people at the earliest," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video