Gogoi govt has failed to control violence: Cong MP Rahman Khan
New Delhi: A group of MPs led by Congress leader K Rahman Khan Thursday demanded central intervention to end the ongoing ethnic clashes in Assam saying they have lost confidence in Tarun Gogoi government`s ability to control violence.
"There is failure somewhere. We have lost confidence in state government`s ability to control violence and demanded central intervention," Khan told reporters after meeting Home Minister P Chidambaram.
The Muslim MPs, including NCP`s Tariq Anwar, Asrarul Haque (Cong) and Sabir Ali (JD-U), said they have "never seen such kind of ethnic violence in India".
"Situation is very tense and something has to be done urgently. The state government has not been able to control the situation. We have asked for central intervention," Khan said.
The former Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha said it was an ethnic clash where a large number of Muslims were killed.
"People mostly affected were Muslims," he said.
Khan said the Home Minister assured them that the central government was in regular touch with the state government and has conveyed that all possible actions were taken to end the violence.
"We have also urged the Home Minister to give adequate compensation and rehabilitate affected people at the earliest," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room