Gogoi govt minister involved in Assam violence: AG
New Delhi: Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Monday blamed a state minister for the ongoing clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims in Assam, saying the ambitious politician was causing trouble for Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi by using his links with former militants.
The opposition leader claimed the infighting in ruling Congress in Assam has cost the lives of so many people in the violence in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts.
"It all started with a minister in Tarun Gogoi government aspiring to replace him (Gogoi) by causing trouble for him using his media connection and links with former militants in Bodo areas," Mahanta said without mentioning the minister`s name.
The former chief minister alleged the state government has failed to take steps for building confidence among the displaced people as it did not deploy security forces at right places.
Asked about alleged involvement of Bangladeshi elements in the violence, Mahanta said it cannot be ruled out but only an impartial investigation could find out the truth.
"International border is still open. Illegal immigration keeps going on. Government must take urgent steps to identify those people and deport them," the two-time Assam CM said.
Mahanta also demanded that the Central government must initiate dialogue with Bangladesh so that Dhaka takes back all illegal immigrants living in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest