Gogoi govt minister involved in Assam violence: AG
New Delhi: Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Monday blamed a state minister for the ongoing clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims in Assam, saying the ambitious politician was causing trouble for Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi by using his links with former militants.
The opposition leader claimed the infighting in ruling Congress in Assam has cost the lives of so many people in the violence in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts.
"It all started with a minister in Tarun Gogoi government aspiring to replace him (Gogoi) by causing trouble for him using his media connection and links with former militants in Bodo areas," Mahanta said without mentioning the minister`s name.
The former chief minister alleged the state government has failed to take steps for building confidence among the displaced people as it did not deploy security forces at right places.
Asked about alleged involvement of Bangladeshi elements in the violence, Mahanta said it cannot be ruled out but only an impartial investigation could find out the truth.
"International border is still open. Illegal immigration keeps going on. Government must take urgent steps to identify those people and deport them," the two-time Assam CM said.
Mahanta also demanded that the Central government must initiate dialogue with Bangladesh so that Dhaka takes back all illegal immigrants living in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi