Gogoi meets senior Congress leaders
New Delhi: Facing revolt, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday met senior Congress leaders here to discuss the situation in the state where a senior minister has quit the government expressing no confidence in his leadership.
Gogoi met senior party leaders A K Antony and Ahmed Patel to discuss the situation in the state Congress.
"We discussed the Assam issue. They will give their report to (Congress President) Sonia Gandhi. Whatever decision the high commands takes on the issue, I will abide to it," Gogoi told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier this week, leader of dissident Congress MLAs in Assam and state Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had resigned opposing Chief Minister Gogoi`s leadership.
"I have submitted my resignation as minister to the Governor (J B Patnaik) as I have protested Gogoi`s leadership," he had said.
He had claimed that about 38 MLAs went with him to the Raj Bhavan.
"I have no confidence in Tarun Gogoi`s leadership. We are fighting for our party and under Gogoi`s leadership Congress will come down to single digit in 2016 (assembly polls)," Sarma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official