Gogoi meets senior Congress leaders
New Delhi: Facing revolt, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday met senior Congress leaders here to discuss the situation in the state where a senior minister has quit the government expressing no confidence in his leadership.
Gogoi met senior party leaders A K Antony and Ahmed Patel to discuss the situation in the state Congress.
"We discussed the Assam issue. They will give their report to (Congress President) Sonia Gandhi. Whatever decision the high commands takes on the issue, I will abide to it," Gogoi told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier this week, leader of dissident Congress MLAs in Assam and state Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had resigned opposing Chief Minister Gogoi`s leadership.
"I have submitted my resignation as minister to the Governor (J B Patnaik) as I have protested Gogoi`s leadership," he had said.
He had claimed that about 38 MLAs went with him to the Raj Bhavan.
"I have no confidence in Tarun Gogoi`s leadership. We are fighting for our party and under Gogoi`s leadership Congress will come down to single digit in 2016 (assembly polls)," Sarma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman