Gogoi meets senior Congress leaders
New Delhi: Facing revolt, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday met senior Congress leaders here to discuss the situation in the state where a senior minister has quit the government expressing no confidence in his leadership.
Gogoi met senior party leaders A K Antony and Ahmed Patel to discuss the situation in the state Congress.
"We discussed the Assam issue. They will give their report to (Congress President) Sonia Gandhi. Whatever decision the high commands takes on the issue, I will abide to it," Gogoi told reporters after the meeting.
Earlier this week, leader of dissident Congress MLAs in Assam and state Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had resigned opposing Chief Minister Gogoi`s leadership.
"I have submitted my resignation as minister to the Governor (J B Patnaik) as I have protested Gogoi`s leadership," he had said.
He had claimed that about 38 MLAs went with him to the Raj Bhavan.
"I have no confidence in Tarun Gogoi`s leadership. We are fighting for our party and under Gogoi`s leadership Congress will come down to single digit in 2016 (assembly polls)," Sarma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security