Gogoi open to formation of a state reorganisation commission
New Delhi: Amid separate statehood agitation in his state, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said he was "open" to appointment of a second state reorganisation commission (SRC) but did not favour formation of Bodoland, saying, "We want to live together."
Gogoi, who was at Parliament House to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, also said protagonists of Gorkhaland and Bodoland joining hands is a "matter of concern".
On the formation of a second SRC, he told reporters, "Till today I have not discussed it. But I am open to it. I`m not opposing it. If some sort of formula is formed, I will welcome it."
Asked about the separate statehood demand by leaders from tribal districts, Gogoi said, "We want to live together. We want to live as a joint family.
"But still whatever their genuine demands are, we want to sort them out," he said.
To a query on protagonists of Gorkhaland and Bodoland coming together to intensify their agitations for statehood, he said, "I have seen reports. Definitely, it is a matter of concern."
The Chief Minister, however, said cases of both Gorkhaland and Bodoland should be dealt with "in a different manner."
"Both separate Gorkhaland and separate Bodoland demands have been going on for a long time. It is a separate issue. Both are separate. We have to consider both the cases in a different manner," he said.
He also said the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh has given a fresh spurt to the separate statehood agitation in his state.
"It has been quite a long time that they (Bodos) have been demanding... But of course, the moment it (Telangana) was announced, that triggered the agitation," Gogoi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march