Gogoi supports SC verdict on casting negative vote
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday supported the the Supreme Court`s verdict on citizens` right to reject all candidates in his/her constituency.
"I welcome the verdict. People should have the right to reject all the candidates if they do not find any suitable one," Gogoi told reporters at a press conference here.
He said earlier candidates were good, but later some problems came in. "Personally I think that it (the voting options in an election) should be revised. I will personally write to the Prime Minister for this," Gogoi said.
In a landmark verdict, the Supreme Court had yesterday held that citizens have right to cast negative votes rejecting, all candidates in a seat, a decision which would encourage people not satisfied with contestants to turn up for voting during an election.
The apex court had also directed the Election Commission to provide `none of the above options` at the end of the list of candidates in EVMs and ballot papers.
Regarding political funding, Gogoi said: "Political funding should be open. It will lessen corruption. Earlier it was open and it was better."
On encouraging small industries, he said the government would set up five big centres with machineries to generate employment and encourage entrepreneurship.
Asked about the Raghuram Rajan panel report on the state`s development, Gogoi said: "It is better to have the tag of a backward state, because this will help us in getting more funds from the Central government. My aim is to make Assam a developed state. We have progressed a lot, but still have not reached that position."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- James Rodriguez may make last Real Madrid appearance in Celta Vigo game
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding