Gogoi welcomes creation of Upper House in Assam
Guwahati: The decision of the Union Cabinet for creating a Upper House in Assam 66 years after it was abolished was today welcomed by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
Thanking UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Law minister Kapil Sibal, Gogoi hoped that the Upper House would provide adequate representation to various communities and groups.
He said in a statement here that he was also hopeful that it would strengthen the composite character of the state and create a plethora of goodwill for the governments, both the Centre and the state.
"Our Government has been all along pressing the Centre for an Upper House in the Assam Legislative Assembly and the clearance of the Cabinet paving its way has fulfilled a long standing demand of the people of the state," he said.
Gogoi urged Sibal to introduce the bill for creating the Council in the coming winter session of Parliament.
The Upper House would have 42 members or one-third of the 126 members in the state Assembly.
The cost of creation of the Council would be borne by the state, the statement added.
Assam had a Upper House which was abolished after Independence.
A meeting of the Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, yesterday approved a proposal to create a Legislative Council in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Why Priyanka Gandhi should lead Congress? – Explained by those in opposition
- Govt rejects ISIS video threat, says patriotism brimming in every Indian Muslim
- Loss of Y chromosomes ups Alzheimer's risk in men
- Ban on ABVP: BJP hints at action against Jammu University vice-chancellor
- US envoy calls on Syria rebels to respect truce