Gogoi welcomes Myanmar`s assurance on no shelter to NE ultras
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday welcomed the recent assurance of Myanmar government not to provide shelter to North East-based militant groups, including the ULFA.
"I have come to know that the Myanmar government has assured Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that no shelter will be provided to the ultras. This is welcome", Gogoi said.
The Myanmar government`s assurance would go a long way in tackling the decades-old militancy problem, he said, adding, no formal communication has, however, been received by his office from the Centre in this regard.
ULFA`s elusive `commander-in-chief` Paresh Baruah, heading the anti-talk faction, is believed to be in hiding in Myanmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional