Governor leaves Assam Assembly in 2 mins, opposition protests
Guwahati: The first day of the Assam Assembly session got off to a stormy start on Monday as the opposition disrupted Governor J B Patnaik`s opening address over his statement that security scenario has improved in the state.
MLAs of AGP, BJP and the All India United Democratic Front did not allow the Governor to complete his speech and he left the House within two minutes of his beginning the speech.
As soon as the Governor said in his opening address that "The state has witnessed major changes in various fields during the past more than a decade and the security scenario has improved with a number of insurgent groups joining the mainstream," opposition parties, including members of AGP, BJP, All India United Democratic Front started shouting and raised the Behali incident along Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.
"When the Behali incident happened just 10 days ago and NDFB(S) terrorists are killing innocent people across the state, how come the security situation has improved?" the opposition members asked.
Last month, 11 supporters of CPI(ML) were killed and many others were injured at Chauldhowa in Behali Reserve Forest by some people from Arunachal Pradesh.
This led to an eight-day long economic blockade against the hill state by a number of political and social groups in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Wimbledon: Serena Williams enters second round ousts Amra Sadikovic
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance
- LeEco sells 61,000 units of Le 2 and Le Max2 for online sales record of Rs 78 cr
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show