Governor leaves Assam Assembly in 2 mins, opposition protests
Guwahati: The first day of the Assam Assembly session got off to a stormy start on Monday as the opposition disrupted Governor J B Patnaik`s opening address over his statement that security scenario has improved in the state.
MLAs of AGP, BJP and the All India United Democratic Front did not allow the Governor to complete his speech and he left the House within two minutes of his beginning the speech.
As soon as the Governor said in his opening address that "The state has witnessed major changes in various fields during the past more than a decade and the security scenario has improved with a number of insurgent groups joining the mainstream," opposition parties, including members of AGP, BJP, All India United Democratic Front started shouting and raised the Behali incident along Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.
"When the Behali incident happened just 10 days ago and NDFB(S) terrorists are killing innocent people across the state, how come the security situation has improved?" the opposition members asked.
Last month, 11 supporters of CPI(ML) were killed and many others were injured at Chauldhowa in Behali Reserve Forest by some people from Arunachal Pradesh.
This led to an eight-day long economic blockade against the hill state by a number of political and social groups in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- New winners of smart city: Check out complete list
- Have you seen Urmila Matondkar, hubby Mohsin Akhtar's LATEST pic?
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Punjab school education board 10th result to be declared shortly. Check www.pseb.ac.in
- Freeze frame! ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan and ‘Aarfa’ Anushka Sharma in a ‘romantic’ still – See pic
- Watch: World's fastest helicopter that may revolutionise air travel!