Governor leaves Assam Assembly in 2 mins, opposition protests
Guwahati: The first day of the Assam Assembly session got off to a stormy start on Monday as the opposition disrupted Governor J B Patnaik`s opening address over his statement that security scenario has improved in the state.
MLAs of AGP, BJP and the All India United Democratic Front did not allow the Governor to complete his speech and he left the House within two minutes of his beginning the speech.
As soon as the Governor said in his opening address that "The state has witnessed major changes in various fields during the past more than a decade and the security scenario has improved with a number of insurgent groups joining the mainstream," opposition parties, including members of AGP, BJP, All India United Democratic Front started shouting and raised the Behali incident along Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.
"When the Behali incident happened just 10 days ago and NDFB(S) terrorists are killing innocent people across the state, how come the security situation has improved?" the opposition members asked.
Last month, 11 supporters of CPI(ML) were killed and many others were injured at Chauldhowa in Behali Reserve Forest by some people from Arunachal Pradesh.
This led to an eight-day long economic blockade against the hill state by a number of political and social groups in Assam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!