Govt to recommend CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: The Assam government will recommend a CBI inquiry into the killing of senior CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul.
State Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Rockybul Hussain told the Assembly today that the government has taken the killing of Kaul "very seriously" and is committed to bring the perpetrators to justice.
"Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had already ordered a CID investigation into Kaul`s killing. However, the state government has now decided to recommend a CBI inquiry into the case," Hussain said.
"We will not allow the perpetrators of the crime to escape," he added.
Earlier in the Assembly, senior Asom Gana Parishad MLA Padma Hazarika raised a Point of Order on Kaul`s killing. He said that fingers "have been pointed at some politicians" regarding Kaul`s killing.
"Government should clear the air regarding the matter. A CBI inquiry should be conducted," Hazarika said.
Kaul(44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons at Gutibari village in Tinsukia district on March 25, an incident that evoked sharp response with upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML(L) on March 29.
Kaul had contested the Lok Sabha election from Dibrugarh constituency in 2009. He had also contested the Assembly polls twice on CPI-ML(L) ticket from Chabua in 2006 and 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know