Govt to recommend CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: The Assam government will recommend a CBI inquiry into the killing of senior CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul.
State Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Rockybul Hussain told the Assembly today that the government has taken the killing of Kaul "very seriously" and is committed to bring the perpetrators to justice.
"Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had already ordered a CID investigation into Kaul`s killing. However, the state government has now decided to recommend a CBI inquiry into the case," Hussain said.
"We will not allow the perpetrators of the crime to escape," he added.
Earlier in the Assembly, senior Asom Gana Parishad MLA Padma Hazarika raised a Point of Order on Kaul`s killing. He said that fingers "have been pointed at some politicians" regarding Kaul`s killing.
"Government should clear the air regarding the matter. A CBI inquiry should be conducted," Hazarika said.
Kaul(44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons at Gutibari village in Tinsukia district on March 25, an incident that evoked sharp response with upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML(L) on March 29.
Kaul had contested the Lok Sabha election from Dibrugarh constituency in 2009. He had also contested the Assembly polls twice on CPI-ML(L) ticket from Chabua in 2006 and 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says