Govt working to bring peace and harmony: Gogoi
Guwahati: Expressing confidence that persons displaced during the recent ethnic conflict would soon be back in their homes, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his government is trying to bring back peace and harmony to the trouble-torn areas of the state.
"I want to assure you that my government is working to create confidence so that all the displaced persons are able to return to their homes. The situation in the trouble-torn areas is returning to normal and my government is keeping a strict eye on the matter," Gogoi said addressing the state on the occasion of Independence Day.
The chief minister, who unfurled the Tricolour in the state capital, said the government is saddened by the events in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts, which have claimed over 75 lives and displaced four lakh people since violence began on July 19.
"All help have been provided to the victims of the violence. I have ordered that special measures be taken to look after pregnant women, children, old and infirm who are in the camps," he said.
Gogoi said, "The displaced persons have started returning to their homes. We are working on a war-footing to facilitate the process".
He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi have all visited the state in recent days and extended all help from the Centre.
"On this sacred day, I urge everybody, irrespective of caste, creed and religion to work for the sake of peace and amity in the state," Gogoi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people