Govt working to bring peace and harmony: Gogoi
Guwahati: Expressing confidence that persons displaced during the recent ethnic conflict would soon be back in their homes, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his government is trying to bring back peace and harmony to the trouble-torn areas of the state.
"I want to assure you that my government is working to create confidence so that all the displaced persons are able to return to their homes. The situation in the trouble-torn areas is returning to normal and my government is keeping a strict eye on the matter," Gogoi said addressing the state on the occasion of Independence Day.
The chief minister, who unfurled the Tricolour in the state capital, said the government is saddened by the events in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts, which have claimed over 75 lives and displaced four lakh people since violence began on July 19.
"All help have been provided to the victims of the violence. I have ordered that special measures be taken to look after pregnant women, children, old and infirm who are in the camps," he said.
Gogoi said, "The displaced persons have started returning to their homes. We are working on a war-footing to facilitate the process".
He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi have all visited the state in recent days and extended all help from the Centre.
"On this sacred day, I urge everybody, irrespective of caste, creed and religion to work for the sake of peace and amity in the state," Gogoi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Shah Rukh Khan terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released