Guwahati Archbishop nominated for Nobel
Guwahati: Archbishop of Guwahati Thomas
Menamparampil has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in
recognition of his initiatives to bring peace among ethnic
communities of the North East.
The Archbishop`s name has been nominated by a popular
Italian magazine `Il Bollettino Salesiano` which also
published a four-page story on Menamparampil in its June
edition titled `A Bishop for Nobel Prize`.
"I had not expected the nomination, but was
overwhelmed by it. I was told about the possibility of such a
development during my visit to Rome last month," Menamparampil
said here Monday.
"The award does not matter while carrying out peace
initiatives. I will continue my mission for peace irrespective
of whether I get any recognition or award. The need of the
hour is adopting a non-confrontational attitude, tolerance and
respect for each other for lasting peace in society," the
During the last fifteen years, Menamparampil has
successfully led seven major peace initiatives -- Bodo-Adivasi
in 1996, Kuki-Paite in 1998, Dimasa-Hmar in 2003, Karbi-Kuki
in 2003, Dimasa-Karbi in 2004, Bodo-Muslim at Udalguri in 2010
and Rabha-Garo in 2011.
"The people associated with Church negotiating peace
in a conflict situation may not be considered a politically
correct act, but when Church leaders and eminent citizens from
warring factions join me in the conflict resolution process,
it is making the Word of God come alive in the lives of
people," he said.
74-year old Menamparampil, born in Pala in Kerala`s
Kottayam district, became a Bishop in Assam`s Dibrugarh town
and was appointed Archbishop of Guwahati in 1995.
Besides being a special invitee to the synod of
`Bishops for Asia and on the Word of God`, Menamparampil is
currently President of Northeast India Bishops` conference,
National Chairman of Bishops Commission for Education and
Culture and Chairman of the Federation of Asian Bishops
Conference Commission for Evangelization.
A member of several Vatican Commissions, he is a
recipient of the prestigious Mumbai-based Maschio Humanitarian
Award in 1998.
He has written a book `Towards a Sense of
Responsibility` on various issues relating to peace and
probity in public life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!