Guwahati Archbishop nominated for Nobel
Guwahati: Archbishop of Guwahati Thomas
Menamparampil has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in
recognition of his initiatives to bring peace among ethnic
communities of the North East.
The Archbishop`s name has been nominated by a popular
Italian magazine `Il Bollettino Salesiano` which also
published a four-page story on Menamparampil in its June
edition titled `A Bishop for Nobel Prize`.
"I had not expected the nomination, but was
overwhelmed by it. I was told about the possibility of such a
development during my visit to Rome last month," Menamparampil
said here Monday.
"The award does not matter while carrying out peace
initiatives. I will continue my mission for peace irrespective
of whether I get any recognition or award. The need of the
hour is adopting a non-confrontational attitude, tolerance and
respect for each other for lasting peace in society," the
During the last fifteen years, Menamparampil has
successfully led seven major peace initiatives -- Bodo-Adivasi
in 1996, Kuki-Paite in 1998, Dimasa-Hmar in 2003, Karbi-Kuki
in 2003, Dimasa-Karbi in 2004, Bodo-Muslim at Udalguri in 2010
and Rabha-Garo in 2011.
"The people associated with Church negotiating peace
in a conflict situation may not be considered a politically
correct act, but when Church leaders and eminent citizens from
warring factions join me in the conflict resolution process,
it is making the Word of God come alive in the lives of
people," he said.
74-year old Menamparampil, born in Pala in Kerala`s
Kottayam district, became a Bishop in Assam`s Dibrugarh town
and was appointed Archbishop of Guwahati in 1995.
Besides being a special invitee to the synod of
`Bishops for Asia and on the Word of God`, Menamparampil is
currently President of Northeast India Bishops` conference,
National Chairman of Bishops Commission for Education and
Culture and Chairman of the Federation of Asian Bishops
Conference Commission for Evangelization.
A member of several Vatican Commissions, he is a
recipient of the prestigious Mumbai-based Maschio Humanitarian
Award in 1998.
He has written a book `Towards a Sense of
Responsibility` on various issues relating to peace and
probity in public life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city