Guwahati landslides damage houses, injure one woma
Guwahati: A woman was injured and several houses were damaged in landslides in different parts of Guwahati following incessant rains.
The woman was injured when a stone wall above her house on a hill in Kamakhya area collapsed as the soil underneath it loosened due to the rains, police said. Four other houses were also damaged in the area, police said.
In nearby Pandu area, five thatched houses were flattened in yet another landslide, but none was hurt.
Some other houses were also reported to have been damaged in the Pub-Sarania Hill area due to another landslide.
Rain waters caused water-logging in a large part of the city, including on arterial G S Road, GNB Road and R G Barooah Road besides in residential areas of Anil Nagar, Tarun Nagar, Pilingakata, Nabin Nagar, Lachit Nagar, Rajgarh Road and other low-lying areas.
Angry locals blocked the road at Anil Nagar, demanding that the civic authorities address the artificial floods.
Rain water rolling down from neighbouring Meghalaya hills also submerged Pilingakata area of the city along the inter-state boundary, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!