Guwahati landslides damage houses, injure one woma
Guwahati: A woman was injured and several houses were damaged in landslides in different parts of Guwahati following incessant rains.
The woman was injured when a stone wall above her house on a hill in Kamakhya area collapsed as the soil underneath it loosened due to the rains, police said. Four other houses were also damaged in the area, police said.
In nearby Pandu area, five thatched houses were flattened in yet another landslide, but none was hurt.
Some other houses were also reported to have been damaged in the Pub-Sarania Hill area due to another landslide.
Rain waters caused water-logging in a large part of the city, including on arterial G S Road, GNB Road and R G Barooah Road besides in residential areas of Anil Nagar, Tarun Nagar, Pilingakata, Nabin Nagar, Lachit Nagar, Rajgarh Road and other low-lying areas.
Angry locals blocked the road at Anil Nagar, demanding that the civic authorities address the artificial floods.
Rain water rolling down from neighbouring Meghalaya hills also submerged Pilingakata area of the city along the inter-state boundary, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority