Guwahati molestation: 3 more held, TV journo quits
Guwahati: Three more persons in the mob that publicly molested a 17-year-old girl in the heart of the city were arrested, while the television reporter accused of instigating the mob resigned on Sunday.
Police have announced a reward of Rs one lakh for anyone giving the whereabouts of prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita, who is absconding since last Monday`s incident.
Six days after the incident that triggered a public outrage, nine persons identified through video clippings have not yet been nabbed.
"The total number of arrested persons in Monday`s molestation incident is now seven," Senior Superintendent of Police (Guwahati city) Apurba Jabon Barua told PTI.
Two of those arrested are Diganta Basumatary and Navajyoti Deka while Ghanshyam Mallick was arrested from Bijni area and handed over to Guwahati police today.
Barua said sub-inspector Subhan Baruah of Dispur police station has been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Gaurav Jyoti Neog of `Newslive` refuted the allegations that he had egged on the mob.
"There are allegations levelled against me that I orchestrated the molestation on the girl on GS Road on the night on July 9. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild," he said in a signed statement here.
He requested the management of the channel to relieve him of his duties till he was cleared of the charges and said he felt it was his responsibility to enable a free and fair trial.
The channel`s Executive Director Nitumoni Saikia said the channel was convinced that Neog was not involved in instigating the molestation. "We are not trying to protect or shield anyone but we remain committed in our campaign to get the molesters arrested."
The channel had decided to air the shocking visuals of the molestation to enable the viewers to see the ugly face of the molesters and help police to identify and punish them, in which it has been successful, he said.
Police are also probing charges by a local daily editor who claimed to be an eyewitness to the molestation incident, that a mob of nearly 40 people had tried to gang-rape her that night.
Citizens of Guwahati, under the aegis of several activist groups and NGOs, braved the rains today to register their protest and anger against the Assam government, police and the media, on the molestation case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city