Guwahati molestation: 3 more held, TV journo quits
Guwahati: Three more persons in the mob that publicly molested a 17-year-old girl in the heart of the city were arrested, while the television reporter accused of instigating the mob resigned on Sunday.
Police have announced a reward of Rs one lakh for anyone giving the whereabouts of prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita, who is absconding since last Monday`s incident.
Six days after the incident that triggered a public outrage, nine persons identified through video clippings have not yet been nabbed.
"The total number of arrested persons in Monday`s molestation incident is now seven," Senior Superintendent of Police (Guwahati city) Apurba Jabon Barua told PTI.
Two of those arrested are Diganta Basumatary and Navajyoti Deka while Ghanshyam Mallick was arrested from Bijni area and handed over to Guwahati police today.
Barua said sub-inspector Subhan Baruah of Dispur police station has been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Gaurav Jyoti Neog of `Newslive` refuted the allegations that he had egged on the mob.
"There are allegations levelled against me that I orchestrated the molestation on the girl on GS Road on the night on July 9. I strongly deny and refute the allegations as malicious and wild," he said in a signed statement here.
He requested the management of the channel to relieve him of his duties till he was cleared of the charges and said he felt it was his responsibility to enable a free and fair trial.
The channel`s Executive Director Nitumoni Saikia said the channel was convinced that Neog was not involved in instigating the molestation. "We are not trying to protect or shield anyone but we remain committed in our campaign to get the molesters arrested."
The channel had decided to air the shocking visuals of the molestation to enable the viewers to see the ugly face of the molesters and help police to identify and punish them, in which it has been successful, he said.
Police are also probing charges by a local daily editor who claimed to be an eyewitness to the molestation incident, that a mob of nearly 40 people had tried to gang-rape her that night.
Citizens of Guwahati, under the aegis of several activist groups and NGOs, braved the rains today to register their protest and anger against the Assam government, police and the media, on the molestation case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly