Guwahati molestation case: Amar Jyoti Kalita remanded to 5 days PC
Guwahati: Amar Jyoti Kalita, prime accused in the molestation of a girl on July 9 outside a pub, was remanded to five days police custody on Thursday.
Kalita, who was arrested on July 23 in Varanasi and brought here yesterday on a transit remand, was today produced amidst tight security before the Kamrup Chief Judicial Magistrate SK Moitra.
Moitra after hearing the petition of both Kalita`s lawyer B D Konwar and Public Prosecutor Minoti Saikia, remanded the accused to five days police custody.
Kalita will be produced next before the CJM on July 30.
Meanwhile, police today arrested another accused in connection with the molestation of the girl on GS Road taking the total number of those held in the case to 15.
The accused, Rubul Ali, was arrested by a team of Guwahati City police from Baruajani area in Kamrup (Rural) district.
Altogether 15 of the 17 identified in the incident have been arrested so far and of these, eight including the reporter of a local TV, Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who filmed the incident, have been remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16