Guwahati molestation case: Amar Jyoti Kalita remanded to 5 days PC
Guwahati: Amar Jyoti Kalita, prime accused in the molestation of a girl on July 9 outside a pub, was remanded to five days police custody on Thursday.
Kalita, who was arrested on July 23 in Varanasi and brought here yesterday on a transit remand, was today produced amidst tight security before the Kamrup Chief Judicial Magistrate SK Moitra.
Moitra after hearing the petition of both Kalita`s lawyer B D Konwar and Public Prosecutor Minoti Saikia, remanded the accused to five days police custody.
Kalita will be produced next before the CJM on July 30.
Meanwhile, police today arrested another accused in connection with the molestation of the girl on GS Road taking the total number of those held in the case to 15.
The accused, Rubul Ali, was arrested by a team of Guwahati City police from Baruajani area in Kamrup (Rural) district.
Altogether 15 of the 17 identified in the incident have been arrested so far and of these, eight including the reporter of a local TV, Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who filmed the incident, have been remanded to judicial custody.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know