Guwahati molestation: Journalist to be questioned
Guwahati: Assam Police will soon question a journalist and a camera person of a Guwahati-based news channel who had video-graphed the molestation of a girl here.
This was conveyed to the Centre by Assam government which also promised complete overhaul of Guwahati city police, receiving flak for alleged delay in taking prompt action to stop crime and in arresting culprits.
Sources said the state government has told the Home Ministry that police was suspecting that TV journalist Gaurav Jyoti Neog might have orchestrated the molestation of the girl by instigating the mob as the prime accused Amar Jyoti Kalita, who is absconding, was reported to be his friend.
Police are likely to ask Neog and the cameraperson about their presence at the spot and what they did to stop the attack on the girl.
"If any culpability is found, they may be arrested too," a source said.
In a report to the Home Ministry, the state government gave a detailed description of the whole incident and promised complete overhaul of Guwahati city police.
Assam DGP Jayanto N Choudhury too spoke to Union Home Secretary R K Singh today and briefed him about the incident and police action so far.
Seven people have been arrested so far in the incident, which took place on July 9 in the city`s busy Christian Basti area on GS Road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre