Guwahati molestation: Mob of 40 people tried to gang rape the girl
Guwahati: An eyewitness to the July 10 molestation of a girl in the heart of the city on Monday, that caused a public outcry, on Saturday said a mob of nearly 40 people had tried to gang rape her that night.
Mukul Kalita, an editor of a local daily, who stood between the hapless girl and the mob and later handed her over to the police that night, appeared still dazed when asked to recount the incident.
"I was returning home from office at 9.45 pm when I saw a girl running and a mob of nearly 40 people chasing her," said Kalita, who had arrived at the scene about 15 minutes after the incident and five minutes before the police came.
"The girl was shouting bachao, bachao (save me). When she saw me she fell at my feet and pleaded `uncle save me from them`. Some people from the crowd shouted at me saying leave her...She was almost half naked and her clothes torn off - it was a shocking sight."
"It looked like gang rape. I am a father and a conscious citizen and it was my moral duty to rescue the girl from the mob," he said.
Some members of the crowd even attacked the girl inside the police van, into which she was escorted by the officer-in-charge of the local police station and two armed guards who had come to her rescue.
"Even as the policemen tried their best to protect the girl, the mob kept up its attempts to attack her till the vehicle drove off," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!