Guwahati molestation: NCW chairperson meets Gogoi
Guwahati: The National Commission for Women on Wednesday submitted a list of recommendations to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on the July 10 molestation of a girl in the city.
"We submitted a list of recommendations including steps for rehabilitation of the victim, punishment of the culprits and other related matters," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told reporters after meeting Gogoi.
"The incident is not only a serious issue. The entire world is watching us. We have asked the chief minister to ensure that not even a single culprit escapes scot free. We have to ensure that such incidents are not repeated," Sharma said.
The NCW also asked for counselling and medical assistance to the victim, a government job for her and proper rehabilitation and fast tracking of such cases in court.
It also asked the state government to install CCTV cameras near bars and monitor them and increase police patrol.
"We have also asked the Chief Minister to set up a 24-hour helpline and women cells in all police stations across the state," Sharma said.
"We have recommended special police pickets with female personnel. The police should take immediate steps to reach the spot whenever they receive any intimation of such incidents without looking at things like jurisdiction of police stations," she said.
The NCW would follow the case to its logical conclusion and "not rest till justice is secured," she said.
"Our priority is to ensure protection of women. And the media also has a role to play. They should not twist such cases," she said.
The NCW also called for action against people who remained mute spectators and those trying to protect the culprits.
Action was also demanded against police personnel for dereliction of duty related to incidents of violence and harassment of women.
The police have so far arrested 12 of the 14 persons identified from video footage.
The prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita was still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared