Guwahati molestation: NCW chairperson meets Gogoi
Guwahati: The National Commission for Women on Wednesday submitted a list of recommendations to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on the July 10 molestation of a girl in the city.
"We submitted a list of recommendations including steps for rehabilitation of the victim, punishment of the culprits and other related matters," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told reporters after meeting Gogoi.
"The incident is not only a serious issue. The entire world is watching us. We have asked the chief minister to ensure that not even a single culprit escapes scot free. We have to ensure that such incidents are not repeated," Sharma said.
The NCW also asked for counselling and medical assistance to the victim, a government job for her and proper rehabilitation and fast tracking of such cases in court.
It also asked the state government to install CCTV cameras near bars and monitor them and increase police patrol.
"We have also asked the Chief Minister to set up a 24-hour helpline and women cells in all police stations across the state," Sharma said.
"We have recommended special police pickets with female personnel. The police should take immediate steps to reach the spot whenever they receive any intimation of such incidents without looking at things like jurisdiction of police stations," she said.
The NCW would follow the case to its logical conclusion and "not rest till justice is secured," she said.
"Our priority is to ensure protection of women. And the media also has a role to play. They should not twist such cases," she said.
The NCW also called for action against people who remained mute spectators and those trying to protect the culprits.
Action was also demanded against police personnel for dereliction of duty related to incidents of violence and harassment of women.
The police have so far arrested 12 of the 14 persons identified from video footage.
The prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita was still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy