Guwahati molestation: NCW chairperson meets Gogoi
Guwahati: The National Commission for Women on Wednesday submitted a list of recommendations to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on the July 10 molestation of a girl in the city.
"We submitted a list of recommendations including steps for rehabilitation of the victim, punishment of the culprits and other related matters," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told reporters after meeting Gogoi.
"The incident is not only a serious issue. The entire world is watching us. We have asked the chief minister to ensure that not even a single culprit escapes scot free. We have to ensure that such incidents are not repeated," Sharma said.
The NCW also asked for counselling and medical assistance to the victim, a government job for her and proper rehabilitation and fast tracking of such cases in court.
It also asked the state government to install CCTV cameras near bars and monitor them and increase police patrol.
"We have also asked the Chief Minister to set up a 24-hour helpline and women cells in all police stations across the state," Sharma said.
"We have recommended special police pickets with female personnel. The police should take immediate steps to reach the spot whenever they receive any intimation of such incidents without looking at things like jurisdiction of police stations," she said.
The NCW would follow the case to its logical conclusion and "not rest till justice is secured," she said.
"Our priority is to ensure protection of women. And the media also has a role to play. They should not twist such cases," she said.
The NCW also called for action against people who remained mute spectators and those trying to protect the culprits.
Action was also demanded against police personnel for dereliction of duty related to incidents of violence and harassment of women.
The police have so far arrested 12 of the 14 persons identified from video footage.
The prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita was still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH