Guwahati molestation: Scribe remanded to 3-day police custody
Guwahati: A court on Saturday remanded Gaurav Jyoti Neog, the TV channel reporter arrested on the charge of instigating an attack on a teenaged girl who was molested here, to three days of police custody.
Neog, the reporter of city-based Live News channel, was remanded to custody by the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate of Kamrup Siddhartha Pratim Moitra.
He was arrested late yesterday evening and was produced in the court today.
The Gauhati High Court had on July 19 rejected an anticipatory bail plea by Neog who was accused by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi of orchestrating the molestation of the girl in a Guwahati street.
He had resigned from his job earlier this week. Neog`s boss and channel`s Editor-in-Chief Atanu Bhuyan has also resigned.
Neog had already been questioned by the police to know his version of the story.
Meanwhile, the prime accused in the molestation case, Amar Jyoti Kalita, remain untraced.
The Special Investigation Team of state police, entrusted with the case, has sent two-three teams outside Assam to trace Kalita.
12 persons have been arrested so far on the charge of being involved in the molestation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed