Guwahati shame: BJP flays Cong on victim’s identity issue
New Delhi: Hitting out at Congress and its government in Assam on their conduct in Guwahati molestation case where authorities have revealed the name and photo of the victim, BJP sought to know how a party headed by a lady was dealing with this issue in such a manner.
"BJP not only condemns the incident but also the totally insensitive way in which the Assam government, the National Commission for Women and the Congress party has handled it. It is something that the nation will have to condemn in no uncertain words," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
BJP alleged Congress--as well as UPA--which are headed by Sonia Gandhi, is running a government in the state which "does not even respect the first condition given in such a situation that the privacy of the victim has to be protected".
The Tarun Gogoi government had issued a press statement with the name and photograph of the victim.
Demanding an apology for this and the immediate arrest of the main culprit, BJP said the Congress government in Assam was not even conscious of its responsibility and for showing such "disgusting indifference".
Congress shot back at BJP for this criticism. "The problem with BJP is that when they have no issues to appear before the media in the evening briefing, they dig out issues... Those who are in public life must maintain a certain modicum of decency. They must not try to make political issues of human tragedies. This tendency is highly regrettable and should be avoided," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack