Guwahati shame: Comm takes suo motu cognisance
Guwahati: The Assam State Commission for Women has taken suo motu cognisance of the alleged stripping and molestation of a girl on Monday night outside a bar here, its chairperson Meera Barooah said on Friday.
"We will decide on our future course of action soon based on the report of the action taken by the police in the case," Barooah said.
Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said "the incident is indeed very painful and is against our culture and tradition. It is something which cannot be tackled through administrative action alone. All of us have a role to play to check this menace."
The Congress high command has also taken a serious view of the matter and a team of the Congress Mahila Morcha from New Delhi is scheduled to visit the city soon to review the matter, party sources said here.
Akashitora, convenor of NGO Prithivi, criticising the local electronic media, said "how could media persons continue to film the incident for nearly an hour and not come to the rescue of the girl?"
On alleged silence of women activists on the issue, Akashitora said, "We have been protesting since day one but it is really surprising that no MP or MLA has raised the issue at an appropriate forum so far."
She said a protest rally would be organised on July 15.
Convenor of NGO Nirjatito Nari Aikya Mancha Sumitra Hazarika said "we are shocked at the incident. We demand immediate arrest of all the culprits and appeal to people from all sections of society not only in Guwahati but in the rest of the state to join us to protest this shameful incident."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hotness overload! Ranveer Singh, Fawad Khan bromance on reel?
- NIA officer Tanzil Ahmed murder case: Prime accused Muneer nabbed by UP STF
- 7th Pay Commission: Implementation soon! Cabinet to decide on final report tomorrow
- PM Narendra Modi pays tribute to Narasimha Rao on his 95th birth anniversary
- Wanted gangster Kumar Pillai, held in Singapore, extradited to Mumbai