Guwahati shame: Comm takes suo motu cognisance
Guwahati: The Assam State Commission for Women has taken suo motu cognisance of the alleged stripping and molestation of a girl on Monday night outside a bar here, its chairperson Meera Barooah said on Friday.
"We will decide on our future course of action soon based on the report of the action taken by the police in the case," Barooah said.
Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said "the incident is indeed very painful and is against our culture and tradition. It is something which cannot be tackled through administrative action alone. All of us have a role to play to check this menace."
The Congress high command has also taken a serious view of the matter and a team of the Congress Mahila Morcha from New Delhi is scheduled to visit the city soon to review the matter, party sources said here.
Akashitora, convenor of NGO Prithivi, criticising the local electronic media, said "how could media persons continue to film the incident for nearly an hour and not come to the rescue of the girl?"
On alleged silence of women activists on the issue, Akashitora said, "We have been protesting since day one but it is really surprising that no MP or MLA has raised the issue at an appropriate forum so far."
She said a protest rally would be organised on July 15.
Convenor of NGO Nirjatito Nari Aikya Mancha Sumitra Hazarika said "we are shocked at the incident. We demand immediate arrest of all the culprits and appeal to people from all sections of society not only in Guwahati but in the rest of the state to join us to protest this shameful incident."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’