Guwahati shame: Opp members walk out of Assembly
Guwahati: Members of opposition AIUDF, AGP and BJP on Monday staged walkouts in the Assam Assembly after the Speaker disallowed an adjournment motion on the issue of molestation of a girl on a street here.
Leader of the Opposition AIUDF`s Sirajuddin Ajmal demanded an adjournment motion stating that the law and order situation had "totally broken down and the lives of women in the state are at stake".
The AIUDF members halted the proceedings of the house as Speaker Pranab Gogoi disallowed the adjournment motion on the ground that the matter was sub-judice.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka told the House that the adjournment motion could not be allowed as a case had been already registered and a statement of the victim taken while the government had also ordered an inquiry by Additional Chief Secretary Emily Choudhury.
Moreover, the National Commission for Women has also ordered a parallel probe into the incident and "under these circumstances, an adjournment cannot be allowed".
Not satisfied with the minister`s statement, the AIUDF members continued to disrupt the house following which the speakers adjourned the House for 15 minutes and announced "temporary suspension" of the AIUDF members.
The AIUDF members refused to leave the House and the Speaker called the Marshal to evict them, but the members stood their ground leading to a pandemonium.
AIUDF members then rushed to the well urging the Speaker to allow the adjournment motion and as the stalemate continued, they members staged a walkout.
The AGP and BJP also staged separate walkouts on the same issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed