Guwahati shame: Opp members walk out of Assembly
Guwahati: Members of opposition AIUDF, AGP and BJP on Monday staged walkouts in the Assam Assembly after the Speaker disallowed an adjournment motion on the issue of molestation of a girl on a street here.
Leader of the Opposition AIUDF`s Sirajuddin Ajmal demanded an adjournment motion stating that the law and order situation had "totally broken down and the lives of women in the state are at stake".
The AIUDF members halted the proceedings of the house as Speaker Pranab Gogoi disallowed the adjournment motion on the ground that the matter was sub-judice.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamoni Sen Deka told the House that the adjournment motion could not be allowed as a case had been already registered and a statement of the victim taken while the government had also ordered an inquiry by Additional Chief Secretary Emily Choudhury.
Moreover, the National Commission for Women has also ordered a parallel probe into the incident and "under these circumstances, an adjournment cannot be allowed".
Not satisfied with the minister`s statement, the AIUDF members continued to disrupt the house following which the speakers adjourned the House for 15 minutes and announced "temporary suspension" of the AIUDF members.
The AIUDF members refused to leave the House and the Speaker called the Marshal to evict them, but the members stood their ground leading to a pandemonium.
AIUDF members then rushed to the well urging the Speaker to allow the adjournment motion and as the stalemate continued, they members staged a walkout.
The AGP and BJP also staged separate walkouts on the same issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof