Guwahati shame: Prime accused in Bhubaneswar, says CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said prime accused in the molestation case of a girl here is in Bhubaneswar but has not been arrested so far.
"Tracking of his (Amarjyoti Kalita) mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar and efforts are on to catch him. Our police is in touch with Odisha Police and we hope to trace him soon," Gogoi told reporters outside Assam legislative assembly.
The police have announced Rs one lakh cash award for giving information on the whereabouts of the prime accused and search operations are on in Assam and neighbouring states to apprehend the accused who are absconding.
Seven persons have been arrested so far in connection with the molestation of a teenager here, while search operations are on to apprehend nine others who have been identified from the video footage of the incident.
The incident has rocked the state and Assam Police came under sever criticism from various quarters with allegations being made that its personnel reached the spot around 45 minutes after the molestation of the girl in the city`s busy Christian basti area on GS Road on July 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video