Guwahati shame: TV journo`s role unethical, says CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said the role of the local news channel journalist, who has also been accused by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi of instigating the assault on a girl outside a city pub, was "unethical".
"This was a case of unethical journalism. It is all right to film the incident as a part of his professional duty but as a part of his social responsibility the journalist should have informed the police", Gogoi told reporters outside the assembly on the first day of the five-day monsoon session.
"The media blames the government and particularly the police on all accounts but journalists, too, have a responsible role to play in society and in this particular case they have failed miserably", the Chief Minister added.
He further said that he was ready to meet the girl, who was molested by anti-social elements on July 9 on the busy GS Road here and was keen to ensure her rehabilitation.
Asked why he did not meet the National Commission for Women members, Gogoi said it was their responsibility to meet the Chief Minister but "I don`t understand why the meeting did not take place. I was open to meeting them".
"As the home minister I admit that the incident was unfortunate and we will take strong steps against the anti-social elements", Gogoi said.
Admitting crime against women in the state had gone up in recent times, he said that it was not in Assam alone that such incidents have gone up but everywhere else in the country, including Delhi and Mumbai.
"To analyse the crime situation in the state, I have asked for data from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences and steps will be taken accordingly", he added.
The Chief Minister also admitted there were lapses on the part of the police primarily because there is shortage of staff.
Gogoi, however, expressed full faith in the police force and said, "I am confident that all the culprits would be brought to book soon".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug