Guwahati shame: TV journo`s role unethical, says CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said the role of the local news channel journalist, who has also been accused by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi of instigating the assault on a girl outside a city pub, was "unethical".
"This was a case of unethical journalism. It is all right to film the incident as a part of his professional duty but as a part of his social responsibility the journalist should have informed the police", Gogoi told reporters outside the assembly on the first day of the five-day monsoon session.
"The media blames the government and particularly the police on all accounts but journalists, too, have a responsible role to play in society and in this particular case they have failed miserably", the Chief Minister added.
He further said that he was ready to meet the girl, who was molested by anti-social elements on July 9 on the busy GS Road here and was keen to ensure her rehabilitation.
Asked why he did not meet the National Commission for Women members, Gogoi said it was their responsibility to meet the Chief Minister but "I don`t understand why the meeting did not take place. I was open to meeting them".
"As the home minister I admit that the incident was unfortunate and we will take strong steps against the anti-social elements", Gogoi said.
Admitting crime against women in the state had gone up in recent times, he said that it was not in Assam alone that such incidents have gone up but everywhere else in the country, including Delhi and Mumbai.
"To analyse the crime situation in the state, I have asked for data from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences and steps will be taken accordingly", he added.
The Chief Minister also admitted there were lapses on the part of the police primarily because there is shortage of staff.
Gogoi, however, expressed full faith in the police force and said, "I am confident that all the culprits would be brought to book soon".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt