`Hate posts vicious attempt at polarising people`
Octroi BOP (J&K): The Centre on Friday said the hate posts and SMSes regarding the Assam violence is a "vicious" attempt by fundamentalist elements to polarise the people on communal lines.
"It is a very vicious attempt by fundamentalist elements to polarise the people on communal lines," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters at Octroi border outpost in R S Pura sub-sector of Jammu district.
He was replying to a volley of questions on the steps the government was initiating in the aftermath of the violence in Assam and the ensuing hate campaign against people from the North-East in some parts of the country.
Singh said fundamentalist elements in the country and in Pakistan are to be blamed for the campaign and India would send some samples of the hate messages and clippings to Pakistan in this regard.
"Fundamentalists on both the sides were involved in it. Bulk of it (hate messages) were from outside India," he said.
"Religious extremists within our country saw an opportunity here and they tried to exploit it... It was communal in nature and we have dealt with it," he added.
Singh said Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik had called up Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who told him that rumours were generated from Pakistan through cellular services.
To a question on a large number of Hindus leaving Pakistan for India due to alleged persecution there, he said, "I do not know whether that is correct. Every year people come here on visas and pilgrim visas and they go back.
"We do not see any marked increase in the number of people from across on these visas, so I am not ready to accept that there is an influx of people from across."
Besides Octroi, Singh also visited the border outposts in Suchetgarh and Abdullian and reviewed the security situation in these forward areas in the aftermath of the series of ceasefire violations by Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India