HC for winding up probe into Army robbery case
Jorhat: The Gauhati High Court has ordered both police and Army to wind up their respective investigations into the alleged robbery by four Army personnel in a house here on December 21, 2010.
The certified copy of the court order available here yesterday asked both the police and army to complete their investigations by January 21.
The Division Bench of the Court comprising Justices Anima Hazarika and Amitabh Roy in its order passed on November 16 also directed police in Jorhat to proceed with its investigations against 11 others allegedly involved in the incident.
The court further asked the victim`s family to depose at Jorhat police station for the Army court of inquiry.
Surajit Gogoi`s family had filed a police case that four Army personnel, including a woman Army officer, had broken into his house at Rowria Tin-Ali, under Jorhat Police Station, and looted goods worth over Rs 1 crore on the night of December 21, 2010.
The police registered a dacoity case under Section 395/397 of IPC and had interrogated several Army personnel allegedly involved in the case.
The four Army personnel from the Rangapahar Military Station in neighbouring Nagaland`s Dimapur were identified by the victim`s family during legal proceedings at Jorhat Military Station later as per instructions from the Eastern Command Army Headquarters.
Gogoi had also appealed to the High Court seeking justice and demanded that the army return the valuables taken away from his residence.
Admitting the case on May 18 this year, the Court had directed Army`s 3 Corps Headquarters in Dimapur to file an affidavit detailing the dacoity case in Jorhat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India