HC orders HRD ministry to pay Rs 10 lakh to girl
Agartala: The Guwahati High Court has ordered
the Union Human Resources Development Ministry to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to a girl who was raped by her school principal in Tripura.
Justice Arun Chandra Upadhyay of Gauhati high court on
Friday ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakh while hearing a
petition jointly filed by the girl`s family and the Tripura`s
Women`s Commission seeking a compensation of Rs 50 lakh from the Union Human Resources Development ministry.
The girl was a student of class eight at Jawahar Navodaya
Vidyalaya at Kakraban in South Tripura district when she was
raped by her school principal, H S Tiwari in 1998.
The girl had delivered a baby after she was raped by
Tiwari is now serving a life term in jail as the Gauhati
high court in June 2005 has upheld the life sentence awarded
to him by the district and sessions court of South Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- READ: ABSOLUTE GOLD! Irfan Pathan's brilliant response to a troll who tried to humiliate him
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117