HC orders HRD ministry to pay Rs 10 lakh to girl
Agartala: The Guwahati High Court has ordered
the Union Human Resources Development Ministry to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to a girl who was raped by her school principal in Tripura.
Justice Arun Chandra Upadhyay of Gauhati high court on
Friday ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakh while hearing a
petition jointly filed by the girl`s family and the Tripura`s
Women`s Commission seeking a compensation of Rs 50 lakh from the Union Human Resources Development ministry.
The girl was a student of class eight at Jawahar Navodaya
Vidyalaya at Kakraban in South Tripura district when she was
raped by her school principal, H S Tiwari in 1998.
The girl had delivered a baby after she was raped by
Tiwari is now serving a life term in jail as the Gauhati
high court in June 2005 has upheld the life sentence awarded
to him by the district and sessions court of South Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka