HC orders HRD ministry to pay Rs 10 lakh to girl
Agartala: The Guwahati High Court has ordered
the Union Human Resources Development Ministry to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to a girl who was raped by her school principal in Tripura.
Justice Arun Chandra Upadhyay of Gauhati high court on
Friday ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakh while hearing a
petition jointly filed by the girl`s family and the Tripura`s
Women`s Commission seeking a compensation of Rs 50 lakh from the Union Human Resources Development ministry.
The girl was a student of class eight at Jawahar Navodaya
Vidyalaya at Kakraban in South Tripura district when she was
raped by her school principal, H S Tiwari in 1998.
The girl had delivered a baby after she was raped by
Tiwari is now serving a life term in jail as the Gauhati
high court in June 2005 has upheld the life sentence awarded
to him by the district and sessions court of South Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon