HC orders HRD ministry to pay Rs 10 lakh to girl
Agartala: The Guwahati High Court has ordered
the Union Human Resources Development Ministry to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to a girl who was raped by her school principal in Tripura.
Justice Arun Chandra Upadhyay of Gauhati high court on
Friday ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakh while hearing a
petition jointly filed by the girl`s family and the Tripura`s
Women`s Commission seeking a compensation of Rs 50 lakh from the Union Human Resources Development ministry.
The girl was a student of class eight at Jawahar Navodaya
Vidyalaya at Kakraban in South Tripura district when she was
raped by her school principal, H S Tiwari in 1998.
The girl had delivered a baby after she was raped by
Tiwari is now serving a life term in jail as the Gauhati
high court in June 2005 has upheld the life sentence awarded
to him by the district and sessions court of South Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers