HC orders reopening of liquor shops & bars in Guwahati
Guwahati: The Gauhati High Court has directed all liquor shops and bars, closed earlier, having licences acquired before March 18, 2005, to reopen.
Justice Ujjal Bhuyan in an interim order passed yesterday ordered reopening of bars here and directed the Assam government to submit a report of the administrative inquiry into grant of permission to liquor shops and bars by officials who violated norms.
The order came after a high power committee formed by the state government to inquire into granting of liquor licenses and loss of employment and state revenue suggested that bars and wine shops having licences before March 18, 2005 may be allowed to reopen as the distance restriction of 500 metres was introduced only on that day.
A petition was filed by the All Assam India Made Foreign Liquor Retailers` Association pleading modification of an earlier order by the court passed on July 9 directing closure of all liquour shops and bars within a radius of 500 metres of educational institutions and religious places.
The high court had passed another order on August 24 allowing reopening of bars and liquor shops, which were granted licenses till March 13, 2000.
There are 303 liquour shops and 128 bars in the city and following the latest order, about 22 liquor shops will still remain closed.
The next date of hearing was fixed on November 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon