High tension in Assam following fresh violence
Guwahati: Fresh incidents of violence were reported in strife-torn Kokrajhar district as a statewide bandh, called by the All Assam Minority Students` Union, disrupted normal life in Assam on Tuesday.
Unidentified persons lobbed grenades, torched several houses and engaged security forces in a shootout at Pakritala village in Fakiragram and Choukhati village in Salakati last night.
The Army was patrolling the disturbed areas and security has been further tightened in BTAD districts following the incidents with night curfew continuing in Kokrajhar, Chirand and Dhubri.
Normal life was paralysed with sporadic incidents of violence in several districts during the 12-hour bandh called demanding scrapping of the Bodoland Territorial Council and the arrest of its chief Hagrama Mohilary.
The police opened fire to disperse bandh supporters, who blocked NH-31 at Joghighopa in Bongaigaon district and three bandh supporters were injured.
High tension prevails in Dhubri district with the CRPF and the police opening fire to disperse bandh supporters, who burnt the effigy of Mohilary near No:2 Kali Mandir on NH 31 at Gauripur.
Bandh supporters also blocked NH-31 at New Hatipota near Bilasipara, ransacked the Bodoland Peoples` Front office in Gauripur as well as eight shops at Asharkandi besides forcibly closing shops at Gariapatti.
The bandh was total in Mankachar and South Salmara areas bordering Bangladesh.
In Sonitpur, bandh activists attacked the car of the Tezpur Circle Officer, Sarangapani Sarma, and officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station at Bhojkhowa and damaged it.
Sporadic incidents of violence have also been reported from Barpeta, Morigaon, Nagaon and Sibsagar. Kokrajhar was, however, free from bandh-related violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state