High tension in Assam following fresh violence
Guwahati: Fresh incidents of violence were reported in strife-torn Kokrajhar district as a statewide bandh, called by the All Assam Minority Students` Union, disrupted normal life in Assam on Tuesday.
Unidentified persons lobbed grenades, torched several houses and engaged security forces in a shootout at Pakritala village in Fakiragram and Choukhati village in Salakati last night.
The Army was patrolling the disturbed areas and security has been further tightened in BTAD districts following the incidents with night curfew continuing in Kokrajhar, Chirand and Dhubri.
Normal life was paralysed with sporadic incidents of violence in several districts during the 12-hour bandh called demanding scrapping of the Bodoland Territorial Council and the arrest of its chief Hagrama Mohilary.
The police opened fire to disperse bandh supporters, who blocked NH-31 at Joghighopa in Bongaigaon district and three bandh supporters were injured.
High tension prevails in Dhubri district with the CRPF and the police opening fire to disperse bandh supporters, who burnt the effigy of Mohilary near No:2 Kali Mandir on NH 31 at Gauripur.
Bandh supporters also blocked NH-31 at New Hatipota near Bilasipara, ransacked the Bodoland Peoples` Front office in Gauripur as well as eight shops at Asharkandi besides forcibly closing shops at Gariapatti.
The bandh was total in Mankachar and South Salmara areas bordering Bangladesh.
In Sonitpur, bandh activists attacked the car of the Tezpur Circle Officer, Sarangapani Sarma, and officer-in-charge of Bhojkhowa police station at Bhojkhowa and damaged it.
Sporadic incidents of violence have also been reported from Barpeta, Morigaon, Nagaon and Sibsagar. Kokrajhar was, however, free from bandh-related violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi