`Himanta submitting resignation to Assam Governor against party norm`
Guwahati: Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Bhubaneswar Kalita on Thursday termed former Education minister and dissident leader Himanta Biswa Sarma meeting the Governor to submit his resignation as "against the party constitution".
"We did not give Sarma and those who went with him permission to meet the Governor. We do not endorse it. He has gone against the party constitution", Kalita told reporters at a press meet here.
"Sarma`s action was violation of party discipline. The AICC leadership has not taken it easily. The high command`s decision has to be abided by. Action will be taken against him and we support it. Process is on to address the issue", he said.
"All the party leaders and workers have been directed to observe party discipline, else action will be taken against them", the APCC chief warned.
Asked on Sarma`s decision to play the role of a "constructive opposition in the Assembly," Kalita said, "the Opposition plays the role of constructive opposition. In accepting constructive suggestions there is no problem."
"The upcoming Assembly session will be peaceful and there will be no difficulty in passing the budget", he added.
Sarma on Monday accompanied by about 38 dissident MLAs had submitted his resignation letter to Governor JB Patnaik opposing Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s leadership.
Talking to reporters after submitting his resignation, Sarma had said, "I have submitted my resignation to the Governor as I have protested Gogoi`s leadership".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it