Houses burnt in Assam along Nagaland border
Diphu: At least nine houses were set ablaze in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district allegedly by attackers from Nagaland early Saturday morning at Khukuribasti but no one was hurt.
About 100 miscreants armed with sharp weapons, bows and arrows came to Khukuribasti village about one kilometre away from the Rangapahar border outpost under Dhansiri police station and set on fire nine houses, additional SP (Border) S Ali Ahmed told PTI.
However, no one was injured in the incident, he added.
The miscreants claimed that the land on which the houses were built belonged to Nagaland and demanded the people staying there to vacate the area, locals alleged.
Protesting the incident, the locals stages demonstrations in the area, police said, adding the situation was under control.
About a month ago, several houses were burnt down in an alleged bid to encroach land in Assam and three days ago 37 encroachers from Nagaland were arrested.
Additional DGP (Border) Mukesh Agarwal and IGP (Law and Order) had recently visited the troubled border areas and posted additional police forces there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress