HPC-D militants arrested
Aizawl: `Army chief` of the Hmar People`s Convention-Democrats (HPC-D) Lalropuia and `Deputy Army Chief` Biaknunga have been arrested at Silchar airport in Assam, Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here on Monday.
Lalropuia and Biaknunga were arrested inside the airport after arriving from Imphal yesterday and were brought to Aizawl the same day, the minister told newsmen.
The two top militant leaders were booked for several illegal activities including murder, extortion and intimidation, he said.
The HPC-D, he said, had been violating the Suspension of Operation (SoO) agreement signed on August 22, 2008 with the security forces in Manipur with the knowledge of the Union Home Ministry.
Accusing the Manipur-based Hmar outfit of trying to disrupt peace and destroy the integrity of the Mizos, the home minister said that anyone or any organisation indulging in illegal activities in the state would be firmly dealt with.
The arrest of Lalropuia and Biaknunga would be a serious setback for the HPC-D led by its new chairman H Sangbera who recently joined the outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional