HPC-D militants arrested
Aizawl: `Army chief` of the Hmar People`s Convention-Democrats (HPC-D) Lalropuia and `Deputy Army Chief` Biaknunga have been arrested at Silchar airport in Assam, Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here on Monday.
Lalropuia and Biaknunga were arrested inside the airport after arriving from Imphal yesterday and were brought to Aizawl the same day, the minister told newsmen.
The two top militant leaders were booked for several illegal activities including murder, extortion and intimidation, he said.
The HPC-D, he said, had been violating the Suspension of Operation (SoO) agreement signed on August 22, 2008 with the security forces in Manipur with the knowledge of the Union Home Ministry.
Accusing the Manipur-based Hmar outfit of trying to disrupt peace and destroy the integrity of the Mizos, the home minister said that anyone or any organisation indulging in illegal activities in the state would be firmly dealt with.
The arrest of Lalropuia and Biaknunga would be a serious setback for the HPC-D led by its new chairman H Sangbera who recently joined the outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!