HPC-D militants arrested
Aizawl: `Army chief` of the Hmar People`s Convention-Democrats (HPC-D) Lalropuia and `Deputy Army Chief` Biaknunga have been arrested at Silchar airport in Assam, Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here on Monday.
Lalropuia and Biaknunga were arrested inside the airport after arriving from Imphal yesterday and were brought to Aizawl the same day, the minister told newsmen.
The two top militant leaders were booked for several illegal activities including murder, extortion and intimidation, he said.
The HPC-D, he said, had been violating the Suspension of Operation (SoO) agreement signed on August 22, 2008 with the security forces in Manipur with the knowledge of the Union Home Ministry.
Accusing the Manipur-based Hmar outfit of trying to disrupt peace and destroy the integrity of the Mizos, the home minister said that anyone or any organisation indulging in illegal activities in the state would be firmly dealt with.
The arrest of Lalropuia and Biaknunga would be a serious setback for the HPC-D led by its new chairman H Sangbera who recently joined the outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report