HPC-D militants arrested
Aizawl: `Army chief` of the Hmar People`s Convention-Democrats (HPC-D) Lalropuia and `Deputy Army Chief` Biaknunga have been arrested at Silchar airport in Assam, Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana said here on Monday.
Lalropuia and Biaknunga were arrested inside the airport after arriving from Imphal yesterday and were brought to Aizawl the same day, the minister told newsmen.
The two top militant leaders were booked for several illegal activities including murder, extortion and intimidation, he said.
The HPC-D, he said, had been violating the Suspension of Operation (SoO) agreement signed on August 22, 2008 with the security forces in Manipur with the knowledge of the Union Home Ministry.
Accusing the Manipur-based Hmar outfit of trying to disrupt peace and destroy the integrity of the Mizos, the home minister said that anyone or any organisation indulging in illegal activities in the state would be firmly dealt with.
The arrest of Lalropuia and Biaknunga would be a serious setback for the HPC-D led by its new chairman H Sangbera who recently joined the outfit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'