Huge cache of arms, ammunition recovered in Assam
Diphu: A huge cache of arms, including sophisticated weapons, belonging to insurgent Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) has been unearthed by police on Thursday in central Assam`s Karbi Anglong district.
"Based on intelligence reports, the police launched an operation in Singhasan Hill area and found the arms and ammunition buried underground at Klumphai of Saijang," Superintendent of Police BB Chetri told a news agency.
Two M-16 rifles with two magazines, one SBBL gun, a .22 rifle and a .32 rifle with one magazine each were recovered, he said.
Claiming it to be a major achievement, Chetri said police had been keeping a close watch on KRA and an operation was being carried in the area since the last few days.
After the Manipur-based KRA operating in the district and local United Kuki Defence Army surrendered before the Central and Assam governments in January, official sources said there was conflict between the two groups.
The KRA planned to form a new outfit and was bringing in arms and ammunition from Manipur and burying them in the area for use later, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred