Human sacrifice: Father kills son in Assam
Guwahati: A man killed his 13-year-old son in Assam in what is being termed a case of human sacrifice. Police said on Thursday the man attempted to kill his wife and daughter also but they escaped with injuries.
The crime occurred at Guijan village in Assam`s Tinsukia district on Wednesday. Police said the accused, Parasuram Koiri, has been arrested.
"The wife and daughter of the accused also faced a similar bid on their lives but they escaped with severe injuries," Tinsukia district Superintendent of Police PP Singh said.
"The accused has confessed to his crime. He sees himself as a devotee of goddess Durga and said that she appeared recently in a dream and demanded human sacrifice," police said.
"The incident occurred last morning (Wednesday) when Koiri offered prayers at the temple of the goddess outside his house and tried to kill his wife Lakhi Koiri, 38, son Biru, 13, and daughter Shibani, 10, while they were sleeping," police said.
The police officer said while Biru died on the spot his mother and sister sustained serious injuries.
"The mother and daughter were shifted to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh," police said.
People residing in the neighbourhood said the man had suffered from a mental ailment for long, and may have conducted the sacrifice due to superstition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'