Human sacrifice: Father kills son in Assam
Guwahati: A man killed his 13-year-old son in Assam in what is being termed a case of human sacrifice. Police said on Thursday the man attempted to kill his wife and daughter also but they escaped with injuries.
The crime occurred at Guijan village in Assam`s Tinsukia district on Wednesday. Police said the accused, Parasuram Koiri, has been arrested.
"The wife and daughter of the accused also faced a similar bid on their lives but they escaped with severe injuries," Tinsukia district Superintendent of Police PP Singh said.
"The accused has confessed to his crime. He sees himself as a devotee of goddess Durga and said that she appeared recently in a dream and demanded human sacrifice," police said.
"The incident occurred last morning (Wednesday) when Koiri offered prayers at the temple of the goddess outside his house and tried to kill his wife Lakhi Koiri, 38, son Biru, 13, and daughter Shibani, 10, while they were sleeping," police said.
The police officer said while Biru died on the spot his mother and sister sustained serious injuries.
"The mother and daughter were shifted to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh," police said.
People residing in the neighbourhood said the man had suffered from a mental ailment for long, and may have conducted the sacrifice due to superstition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress