Human sacrifice: Father kills son in Assam
Guwahati: A man killed his 13-year-old son in Assam in what is being termed a case of human sacrifice. Police said on Thursday the man attempted to kill his wife and daughter also but they escaped with injuries.
The crime occurred at Guijan village in Assam`s Tinsukia district on Wednesday. Police said the accused, Parasuram Koiri, has been arrested.
"The wife and daughter of the accused also faced a similar bid on their lives but they escaped with severe injuries," Tinsukia district Superintendent of Police PP Singh said.
"The accused has confessed to his crime. He sees himself as a devotee of goddess Durga and said that she appeared recently in a dream and demanded human sacrifice," police said.
"The incident occurred last morning (Wednesday) when Koiri offered prayers at the temple of the goddess outside his house and tried to kill his wife Lakhi Koiri, 38, son Biru, 13, and daughter Shibani, 10, while they were sleeping," police said.
The police officer said while Biru died on the spot his mother and sister sustained serious injuries.
"The mother and daughter were shifted to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh," police said.
People residing in the neighbourhood said the man had suffered from a mental ailment for long, and may have conducted the sacrifice due to superstition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what