Human trafficker nabbed in Guwahati, 8 girls rescued
Guwahati: The Government Railway Police (GRP) on Saturday nabbed a human trafficker and rescued eight girls from her clutches here.
Sources in the GRP said the eight girls were rescued from the Guwahati railway station and the woman trying to take the girls away from Assam was arrested.
"The girls were told that they would be given jobs in some spice factories in Kerala. The woman had brought the girls to Guwahati from Jonai in Dhemaji district of Assam. However, when we inquired, the woman could not give any proof that the girls would be given employment in Kerala," sources informed.
"We contacted our counterpart in Dhemaji and were informed that the same woman had previously taken some other girls away from the remote areas of the district to unknown destinations by giving them hopes of employment. Those girls have, however, never returned to their families," said the sources.
Investigation is on to find out more details about the human traffickers` involvement in the incident and their network in the state, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport