I am not hungry for the CM’s: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has dismissed reports of revolt by 25 Congress MLAs and said that he was not hungry for the chief minister`s post.
"Some leaders have been conspiring against me for a long time. I don`t care about dissidence. This is a drama that will end soon," the chief minister who has been ruling for 12 consecutive years in the state told reporters here on Friday.
"I am not hungry for the chief minister`s post. Conspiracy is not new for me," he said.
Earlier there were reports of a meeting by about 25 MLAs and their supporters at a senior legislator`s residence here on Thursday night demanding change in the leadership of the Congress Legislature Party as the chief minister was allegedly autocratic and vindictive and had sidelined them.
Following this there was a move for a signature campaign by Congress MLAs in support of Gogoi.
But Gogoi directed Congress Chief Whip Nilamani Sen Deka to ensure that it was not undertaken and that statements in the media should also not be made.
The CLP has terminated the associate membership of independent MLA Zabed Islam for alleged dissident activities.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Bhubaneswar Kalita, who had a meeting with the chief minister yesterday in the assembly premises, said "These are internal matters of the party. We are sorting out whatever difference is there within the party (CLP). We are expecting a solution shortly."
The 25 MLAs, on the other hand, denied that they were against Gogoi and said that the meeting at a legislator`s house was a part of regular practice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead