IED recovered from railway tracks in Assam
Chirang: A powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was recovered Thursday from railway tracks in Assam`s Chirang district on the eve of 12-hour Assam Bandh called by ULFA`s anti-talk faction tomorrow to protest Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh`s day-long visit.
The IED, weighing more than three kgs, two detonators and some fused wire were recovered at Maneswari, at a distance of about one kilometre from Bijni railway station during routine patrolling by a joint team of the police and army personnel, official sources said.
The security forces have cordoned off the area and the IED defused.
Train services have been temporarily halted in the section as security personnel launched a massive combing operation in the area to detect whether any more explosives have been planted or not, sources added.
Meanwhile, security along the railway tracks have been tightened with several trains cancelled or rescheduled in view of the bandh.
ULFA`s anti-talk faction has called a 12-hr Assam bandh tomorrow beginning at 0500 hrs to protest against the Prime Minister`s day-long visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on